Wednesday 10 August 2022

Nearing Spring

My Garden I planted in Canberra from scratch .....
Cosmos I planned for the front piece beside the path that first year...
They did give a beautiful planting of pinks & whites...
Swaying in gentle breezes.
I would pull seed off and rescatter for next year and the finches flew in and ate and scattered the seeds to the back garden , as the photo here depicts....
the seeds thanks to the birds provide patches of cosmos to my neighbours in a couple of years.
I plan to scatter many packets of cosmos here for summer....


The shasta daisies were also happiness as they flowered in summer.... outside the kitchen window and way down in a back area that had a water issue in earlier days of plantings...
They stayed for a long time but cutting off the dead flowers and stems was a drudge.....


Birch  trees out the front higher garden than the house....

then the cosmos were joined by coreposis the yellow happiness that scattered seed along the pathway and where ever happiness needed to be....

I need to dig out the other photos better than this lot of pictures ....of the garden that was a lushness and had something happening all year around and the tiniest of lawn on the huge block.....

Native and exotic shrubs were planted and kept a distance from the overhead power lines at the back of the garden.....


It is amusing as well as frustrating to me as now I rent and I have aged and people cannot resist being all knowing on gardening and slopping out advice I most often do not need.... never any offer of manual help though...

But they assume I have never gardened ..never known a vast patch of clay..with water racing down the incline past the dining room window to the inadequate drains .......

or the truck load of stones backed in behind the retaining wall near the kitchen that in one storm shifted all the stones down to far corner of land & under the fence .....

We had challenges then too ....

But I had a love of flowers and a desire to irradicate weeds and no chemicals enhancements ...

It was done...and lawn mowing was by push mower from Kmart manpower by Phil ! 




Today I rent, I really do not want any sized garden now...

but I have this park line block which has flowers at the fence edges and some trees....it too has beauty.

I strike cuttings from the existing garden and occasionally buy in a plant or 2 to add to spots that grow weeds all of the time...and for me it enhances the garden...with colour.

If it were mine .... I would as one thinks......dismiss any need for ride on mowers fueled and costly to have mown and not to mention a hot summer & watering needs to keep lawns green.....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.