Tuesday 8 March 2022

The Cat's Garden

The Garden is in this painted story where a cat enjoys time with it's person....not really a garden for cat digging !

To continue on with yesterday's story of me the designer and my buttons etc.
RETAILING
Button Products being in Shops/ shows
It is a wonderful feeling to see one's work on sale in another's store or display at a Quilt/Craft show.
I always gaze of it with a certain sort of disbelief & awe. It is an honour.
I have not seen all the places my work has found it's self.
Paris at one stage, France in several shops, America, New Zealand, Spain, and of course here in Australia.
Shows in Nashville, Houston, Sydney. Melbourne, places in NZ and some I would not know about.

Magazines
The very first was Handmade in maybe 1996 as we were selected by the present in Woodcutter's Daughter label at  a stand at the Sydney Quilt Show.
2 Cloth Santas, they got a full page....
Again an honour to have been invited/chosen ???

The second magazine was such a big deal
Country Craft & Decorating?
 It was "the" magazine in it's time.

This happened out of the blue.
I was restocking my cloth patterns in a shop in Canberra when a lady from the magazine was on different business & asked
 "How come our magazine doesn't know about your work?"
I muttered "I keep a low profile I guess !"

THE MAGAZINE SHOOT
The team did get in contact with me and came down from Sydney for the day to my home in Canberra.
There was 
a stylist !!!
a journalist !!!!!
a photographer   !!!!
&
me !!!

They selected what projects ( pattern designs ) I would provide for the magazine profile.
They styled the shoots and I told my story etc.
The wait for the magazine was 3 months as it was printed off shore..then there it was pages !

A little later I also had a profile selected by Country Collections when Rick Rutherford was editor and a delight to be interviewed by...this was a several of a series of works featured in the magazine.
Also a new magazine began from Rick's customer's wanting the how to sew version and
Homespun Magazine was born.
I was so lucky to be providing projects for the second issue of the magazine.
There was also another magazine shoot in my Canberra home from Country Threads as they began their new magazine...it was also wonderful as the style of Country decor was changing and my work got to reflect some of that progress..
Then the Magazine in France in French only was issue one of Simply Vintage  was trialed  on the suggestion of Marie-Claude Iperti who worked with the magazine.
It was my Christmas button & stitching that was selected for the first issue.
Happy to celebrate the magazine became the a great success and sold out in 3 weeks.
All the paperwork was done by email.... technology had found us ! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.